Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Libraries
Being found in commercial search engines, like Google, and writing indexable content have largely been on the periphery of library web development practice. In this course/workshop, we will explore the mechanics and principles of acceptable best practices for SEO, identify components that contribute to successful harvesting of library web sites and microsites, and discuss the need to make library content findable in broader online settings. Come learn why SEO is not just “snake oil” and can be an integral part of library marketing and outreach initiatives.
- web analytics,
- creating indexable content,
- understanding search engines,
- engineering findability,
- the business case for SEO,
- distinguishing between acceptable and unacceptable SEO
Learning Outcomes include:
- Understand the difference between acceptable best practices for SEO and unacceptable SEO.
- Learn how bots create the web index for your web sites.
- Learn how to apply the basic activities around acceptable best practices for SEO.
- Learn how to conduct SEO keyword and topic research
- Learn how to set up Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools to measure SEO success and diagnose SEO problems.
- Know how to create a business case for SEO work in your library
Who Should Attend:
- Web developers and System Administrators with some web management experience
- Any librarian interested in web analytics and building findable content for the web
(Team teaching with Montana State University research team including:
Kenning Arlitsch, Dean of the Library; Jason Clark, Head of Library Informatics and Computing; Patrick OBrien, Semantic Web Research Director Scott Young, Digital Initiatives Librarian
Course Level & Prerequisites
Participants should know how to use a text editor and a current standard Web Browser. Some basic knowledge of HTML will be helpful
Date(s) & Time(s)
10:30 a.m – 12:30 p.m.(CDT) each of these days:
- July 17 – Best Practices and “Why do SEO?” intro
- July 18 – Semantic Markup and Structured Data for SEO
- July 21 – SEO Analytics
- July 23 – Emerging SEO Techniques
LITA Member: $135
ALA Member: $195
How to Register
- Register Online (membership login is required), or,
- Contact ALA Registration: call 1-800-545-2433 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting and press 5, or,
- Email [email protected]g, or,
- Submit print registration form [PDF]