New LITA Strategic Plan

I am pleased to share the new LITA Strategic Plan with you. The LITA Strategic Plan was created using feedback gathered from the R2 Market Survey, the joint LITA Board Meeting with the Committee and Interest Group chairs in 2008, the LITA Town Meetings in 2009 and 2010 and the LITA Board Meeting in 2010. Over the last 5 months the LITA Executive Committee has taken the resultant feedback and created this plan. The LITA Board of Directors approved the plan earlier this month.

Here is how the LITA Board would like to proceed.

1. The LITA Strategic Plan has been posted to ALA Connect http://connect.ala.org/node/105818. Members are encouraged to review the new LITA Strategic Plan and post your feedback to ALA Connect by Friday, June 25th.

2. The last 45-60 minutes of the Saturday LITA Board Meeting will be devoted to the LITA Strategic Plan. The Strategic Planning session of the LITA Board Meeting will be held in the Convention Center room 204A, Saturday, June 26 at approximately 11:30-12:15.  The LITA Board welcomes LITA members to the meeting if they wish to provide feedback in person (if you can’t make the meeting please provide feedback in ALA Connect http://connect.ala.org/node/105818). During the Strategic Planning session at the LITA Board meeting we will also identify which strategies we want to tackle in the next 18 months and assign those strategies to the appropriate committees, interest groups and task forces. The LITA Board will then work with the committees, interest groups and task forces to create action plans on how those groups plan to accomplish the strategy.

3. The LITA Board has asked the committees and interest groups to fill out and submit their completed Action Plans and submit them to the LITA Board two weeks prior to the Midwinter Meeting in January 2011. Board members will be available to assist the committees, interest groups and task forces in the completion of the Action Plans.

4. During the LITA Board session at the ALA Midwinter Meeting 2011, the LITA Board will review the submitted Action Plans to make sure all strategies that were identified as priorities in next 18 months are accounted for and if not how to proceed.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Michelle Frisque
President, Library & Information Technology Association

LITA Standards Task Force Created

As part of our strategic initiatives, LITA believes it needs to be an active participant in the creation and adoption of standards that align with the library technology community.  We want LITA and its members to serve on the committees, groups, and task forces that develop the standards so we can help shape standards in the library technology realm.

This will be an expansion of LITA’s current standards initiatives which includes the work of the Standards Interest Group and the Standard’s Coordinator.

Charge:
To explore and recommend strategies and initiatives LITA can implement to become more active in the creation and adoption of new technology related standards that align with the library community. Propose an organizational structure that will support and sustain LITA’s increased involvement in the standards arena both within ALA and beyond.

To summarize the task force needs to determine:

  • which standard organizations LITA should participate in examples include NISO, ISO, W3C, etc.
  • how LITA can become actively involved in each of the identified organizations
  • what kind of support LITA members would need to increase their involvement in standards creation
  • how this new initiative can be sustained in the LITA organizational structure

Time Frame:
The task force should submit their final report before the ALA Midwinter Meeting in 2011.  A preliminary report should be submitted to the LITA Executive Board by October 15th, 2010.

Members:
A big thank you to the following members who have agreed to serve on this Task Force. They are:

  • Yan Han, Chair
  • Todd Carpenter
  • Margaret Hazel
  • Janel White
  • George Fray
  • Jennifer Hawkins
  • Diane Hillman, LITA Standards Coordinator
  • Colby Riggs, LITA OITP Representative
  • David Nutty, current chair LITA Technology and Access
  • Elena Soltau, incoming chair LITA Technology and Access
  • Judy Jeng, co-chair Standards Interest Group
  • Mona Couts, LITA Board Liaison

LITA Town Meeting 2010

The LITA President reviewed a market survey, comments from the joint LITA Board Meeting with the Committee and Interest Group chairs in 2008, the LITA Town Meeting in 2009 and the LITA Board Meeting in 2010 and identified all of the possible ideas that LITA could explore as potential strategies for the next LITA Strategic Plan.  Those strategies were then sorted under major categories.

At today’s LITA Town Meeting we are going to review the the existing strategies and identifying missing strategies. During the Town Meeting we will break out into groups and each group will review one section. Each group will then perform the following tasks for their assigned section:

  1. add possible strategies that are missing
  2. identify which strategies are worth developing and incorporating into the future strategic plan and give them a time frame (can be complete in 1 year, 2-3 years or 3+ years)
  3. identify the possible strategies that are essential to the future of LITA

The groups will reconvene and share the results of their discussion. The rest of the board can provide their thoughts as well.

You can also follow us via Twitter using #litath.

The draft strategic plan is on ALA Connect.

ALA Emerging Leader Program DEADLINE EXTENDED

The ALA Emerging Leaders (EL) program is a leadership development program which enables newer library workers from across the country to participate in problem-solving work groups, network with peers, gain an inside look into ALA structure, and have an opportunity to serve the profession in a leadership capacity. It puts participants on the fast track to ALA committee volunteerism as well as other professional library-related organizations.

The EL program kicks off with a daylong session during the ALA Midwinter Meeting. Afterward, it grows and develops in an online learning and networking environment for six months. The program culminates with a poster session presentation to display the results of the project planning work of each group at the ALA Annual Conference.

LITA will sponsor 2 Emerging Leaders this year. LITA will contribute $1000 towards expenses ($500 for each conference). The LITA sponsored EL’s will also be paired with the LITA Vice President and will be appointed to a LITA Committee once they complete the EL program. Those interested in being sponsored by LITA, should check the LITA box on their application.

Sponsorship is not required for participation in the program. Anyone who is selected to participate in the program but not sponsored, will be expected to pay their own expenses.

Apply now for the 2010 class of Emerging Leaders. Deadline for submission of online application and all references is EXTENDED to AUGUST 7, 2009

You can find more information including requirements at the ALA Emerging Leader Program website.

Announcing the LITA Online Programming Task Force

LITA needs a system or process to gather, post, and share LITA sponsored programs presented at conferences and events online.
Charge:
To explore and recommend a systematic approach to gather and post LITA programs presented at events such as ALA Annual Conference, LITA National Forum, LITA Camp, etc.
  • Identify the types of programs that are presented and which are most appropriate for online posting
  • Identify other organizations such as ACRL, PLA, WebJunction, etc, who are currently providing this service to learn about their experiences
  • How should the content be delivered online i.e. live webcast, produced in a studio, screencast, etc.
  • Identify, evaluate, and analyze available systems
  • Identify which systems are best for delivering each type of program
  • Determine who should have access to what types of programs and how. This should include:
    • Identifying the appropriate delivery method
    • Who should have access. Should it be available to all LITA members, available to everyone, etc.?,
    • Should access be different for different user communities?
    • Should their be a registration fee for certain types of programming
Task Force:
The task force should include representatives from:
  • LITA Program Planning Committee
  • LITA National Forum Committee 2009
  • LITA National Forum Committee 2010
  • LITA Web Coordinating Committee
  • LITA Education Committee
  • LITA BIGWIG

Thanks to the following people for agreeing to serve on this task force:

  • Aaron Dobbs, chair
  • Melissa Shepard
  • Anne Graham
  • Cody Hanson
  • Michael Witt
  • Jenny Emanuel
  • Kristine Feery
  • David Ward
Timeframe:
The task force should submit their recommendations to the LITA Board of Directors no later then ALA Midwinter Conference 2010 and run a pilot project at the Annual Conference 2010.

LITA Electronic Participation Implementation Task Force

LITA has volunteered to assist in the implementation of the Electronic Participation Task Force report in any way that is deemed appropriate.  Mary Ghikas, ALA Senior Associate Executive Director, has posed the question, if ALA provides Internet connectivity in hotels as well as the convention center for Annual Conferences and Midwinters, what can we do to help regular committees (as opposed to governance groups) use it (e.g., develop a toolkit, tip sheet, actual on site help) to connect with absent members at no additional cost (e.g., no conference calls requiring telephone lines, etc.)?

Charge:
To explore the possibilities for providing technical support to committees which need to include absent members using Internet connectivity.  To develop an implementation plan for the 2009 Annual Conference.

  • Identify levels of support needed and appropriate tool for each level;
  • Identify existing tools and develop new tools as needed;
  • Identify services that might be needed;
  • Determine best ways of providing tools and services.

Task Force:
Thanks to the following people for agreeing to serve on this task force:

  • David Lee King, Chair
  • Cindi Trainor
  • Lauren Pressley
  • Derik Badman
  • Andreas Orphanides
  • Barbara Blummer

Announcing the LITA Program Process System Task Force

LITA currently does not have a single system to gather, evaluate and approve program proposals that are submitted and share the information among the relevant committees. The LITA Program Planning Committee, LITA Education Committee, LITA National Forum 2009 Committee and LITA Camp are all using various systems to review and select appropriate programs for their events. 

Charge: 
In support of implementing a centralized system to gather, evaluate and select programs, the LITA Program Process System Task Force will identify systems to determine the most appropriate systems and recommend what they determine to be the best choice(s). 

  • Gather system requirements
  • Identify common elements for all committees as well as unique elements for each committee
  • Identify, evaluate, and analyze available systems

Task Force Members:
Thanks to the following people for agreeing to serve on this task force:

  • Ranti Junus, Chair (LITA Program Planning Committee)
  • Dale Poulter (LITA Program Planning Committee)
  • Zoe Steward-Marshall (LITA National Forum Committee 2009)
  • Jennifer Reiswig  (LITA National Forum Committee 2010)
  • Lauren Pressley  (LITA Web Coordinating Committee)
  • Danielle Plumer  (LITA Education Committee)
  • Paul Bracke  (LITA Publications Committee)

Check out the LITA WIKI for updates from the task force.

LITA Town Meeting Update

I want to thank everyone who participated in this years LITA Town Hall meeting and remind you that you can continue to participate on Twitter. I will continue to follow #litath09, the tag assigned to the Town Meeting, so if you want to add to the conversation please do. I’m listening.

Here are the questions we asked during the breakout session:

  1. What makes LITA unique inside ALA and in the greater community?
  2. Who else is filling the same role as LITA right now?
  3. What areas of IT are not be addressed in the community?
  4. How do other organizations see LITA?
  5. How can LITA work with other organizations?
  6. What can LITA learn from peer organizations?

We had 12 tables in the room so 2 tables discussed each question. I posted pictures of the notes from each table and they can be found on Flickr.

I want to thank the following guests for coming to this event and participating in the discussion:

  • ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries): Susan Kroll
  • ALCTS (Association for Library Collections and Technical Services): Dina Giambi and Mary Case
  • ASIS&T: Nancy Roderer (Past-President)
  • BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research): Regan Harper
  • Digital Library Federation (DLF): Barrie Howard
  • RUSA (Reference and User Services Association): Neal Wyatt
  • Taigi: Tom Wilson (Board Member)
  • OCLC/WebJunction: Beth Gutsche

I would also like to thank the Twitter table for getting a feed going on the spot! I really enjoyed reading it after the fact and I know those who could not attend enjoyed participating from wherever they were.

Finally, I would like to thank Matt Barnes from R2 Consulting for volunteering his time and facilitating the discussion.

The Obligation of Leadership by R. David Lankes

The final keynote of the LITA National Forum 2008 “The Obligation of Leadership” can be found at Virutal Dave … Real Blog. If you missed it do check it out. You can choose how you want to experience it. David posted his slides, audio and video versions of the keynote on his website. If you were lucky enough to be there to experience it in person you may want to listen to it again. It was just as good the second time around.

Assessment and Research Meeting on Friday, Jan 11

The recently formed LITA Assessment and Research Committee hosted a session on Friday morning about establishing a research strategy for LITA. Approximately 20 people from the Assessment and Research Committee, the Membership Committee, Committee and Interest Groups Chairs, LITA Emerging Leaders and the LITA Board participated in the session. Robin Wedewer, from Tecker Consulting, facilitated the session.

While the session took place at Midwinter the work began in December via email. Participants were asked to answer a series of questions. Those questions included:

  • Please think about the environment in which you live and work and what is happening in those areas that could have the potential to impact you and your business.
  • As you look to the future, what are the issues and trends that you think could have some effect, either positive or negative, on you and your workplace? In other words, what is going on in the environment that you will need to respond to or plan for—today AND in the future?
  • In order to track trends in library information technology that impacts professionals in the field, what data should be gathered and analyzed on a regular basis for benchmarking and trend tracking purposes?
  • In order to track trends as well as the health and welfare of LITA as an association, what data should be gathered and analyzed on a regular basis for benchmarking and trend tracking purposes?

The email discussion and meeting helped us to clarify the range of potential issues that LITA and its members are likely to face in the foreseeable future. As Robin stated “by carefully identifying ALL of the issues, we can establish priorities for information gathering that will help LITA be better prepared to respond with information and knowledge rather than with the opinion and anecdotes from individuals.”

Based on the email discussion, Robin created a list of the top issues in field for our members:
1. Re-invention of library’s traditional space
2. New and increasing funding requirements
3. Increased need for training
4. Changing role of the “librarian”/impeding leadership crisis
5. Changing expectations about access to information
6. Information glut
7. Changes in the nature of social interaction
8. Increased privacy concerns
9. Need for new tools, customization and user-friendly interfaces.

We split out into 3 groups, and each group was assigned several topics to discuss. Each group brainstormed and shared their results. The results of the brainstorming session were photographed.

Here is what was identified as priorities for LITA:

Re-invention of library’s space: (issue 1)

  • What is the value of our space both traditional and virtual; is it a success?
  • Where are members going beyond LITA?

Money/Budget (issue 2)

  • How do we (LITA) share our value/worth?
  • How do we optimize staff and volunteers
  • How much to put into new stuff such as research and development?
  • When do we decide to stop doing something?

Increased need for training (issue 3)

  • Value of training
  • Preferred models of training? f2f, online, webcast, etc
  • Why do people participate in training i.e. to learn, network, required, etc.

Changing role of the librarian …. (issue 4)

  • Focus on membership like what are the true demographics
  • What is role / expectation in say 5 years

Social Interaction (issue 7):

  • How are they used by members
  • what are their preferences
  • where do they use them (this related to both social tools as well as portable devices)

Increased privacy concerns issue 8 – included both LITA members as well as those we serve at our home institutions

  • What concerns do our users really have?
  • What do our users think is private; what do they want/expect to be private

Need for new tools….. (issue 9)

  • What are people using, how do they keep current, why they stop using a particular tool
  • Vendor relations – what is the role of LITA in working with vendors; more vendors used to be members, why is this membership group declining?

The session was also covered in Cognotes, Saturday, January 12, 2008, page 20.

While much was accomplished there is still more to do. Work will continue via email. Look for more updates via the blog in the near future.