ERM and e-Books

Firday June 22, 2007

LITA ERM Interest Group did a managed discussion on e-books. Ted Koppel, Verde ERM Product Manager (ExLibris) gave the talk. (Note: Verde just starts working on e-books management system.) His function in this talk was basically asking questions and raising awareness on e-books management.

Koppel suggested that we start thinking about e-books management now. Even though many libraries are just getting used to e-journals management and might still learning the ins and outs of the licensing management stuff, many of these libraries are already delivering e-books.

Start thinking on usage scenarios such as use for e-learning, e-reserve, and e-books as e-textbooks. Other e-books scenario are possible: single use circulation, institutional repositories, archiving and preservation especially in the wake of the digitization projects from Google and other commercial companies.

There are several functional areas that a library needs to consider, ask, or make decisions:
Acquiring e-books commercially

  • Does the supplier offer a collection management tool?
  • Does the supplier provide metadata or cataloging tool?
  • What is the role of licenses and permissions and how do we manage those into the data.
  • How does the industry deal with the open access model as well as the so-called free e-books such as government documents?

Acquiring or creating e-books locally

  • what departments within the institution that produce the e-books, who manages the collections, who does the collection development
  • e-books only or other digital materials as well?
  • where is the metadata coming from for the locally created material?
  • Granularity: how is the ERM system used to managed the collection?
  • Use/copyright restrictions, licensing/contracts for the locally produced e-books.

Description

  • What description/identifier should we use (Dublin Core, MARC, etc.)
  • What Unified Resource Identification (URI) that is used?
  • Shall records added to OPAC or do we need to keep them separately?
  • Differences in indexing and access points.
  • Use publisher’s search platform or should we develop it locally to our own need?

Discovering e-books

  • At the discovery level, are e-books different than their physical version?
  • What kind of search mechanism is the one and how the indexes are built? Do we need indexes?
  • Which thesauri to use? Should it be LCHS or our own local practices?
  • Combining e-book search results with other results, presumably related material?
  • Do we need to FRBRized the result?
  • Can we embed e-books search in other platform such as a course management system?
  • Does it offer relevance ranking result?
  • User tagging?
  • Rules for use – who tells the users and how? When ERM stops and DRM kicks in?
  • ‘Unlimited access’ vs. charge out this copy model?
  • Pay per view or other use model?
  • Prerequisite requirements for delivery (specific browser, computer OS, etc.)
  • Granularity
    • deep links to title/chapter/page within an e-book?
    • Indexing and retrieval depth: chapter? pages? paragraph?
  • Resource sharing system, is it possible?

e-books management

  • Is e-books management different than e-journals?
  • Has the role of Collection Management changed?
  • Staff role?
  • License, usage, DRM?
  • Budget, support, maintenance?

Koppel summarized that:

  • e-books are still in their infancy.
  • e-books usage will follow, as will users expectations.
  • our experience with managing e-journals will make the move to managing e-books easier.
  • but there is still much to learn.

There were several questions, discussions, and updates after the talk. A representative from Overdrive talked about their product and mentioned International Digital Publishing Forum, formerly the Open e-book Forum (OeBF). He also mentioned that Adobe just released a free Adobe Digital Edition 1.0 , for Windows and MacOS (linux version coming soon). This is a rich internet application (RIA), Flash-based. The software can also open and read PDF docs.

Several ERM members presented reports from several conferences they went to: NASIG, ACRL, and ER&L. They participated at several focus groups discussing various issues on ERM:

  • ERM implementation and workflow planning space for discussion/online community for sharing best practices
  • ERM systems that come with some default settings
  • staffing for e-resources
  • training and appropriate staff levels
  • standardized licenses from publisher that they can upload to ERM
  • no standards for publishing e-data
  • ERM vendors to provide consultation services for ERM implementation

Other tidbits mentioned:

  • Blog for ER&L
  • Victoria Reich from LOCKSS encourages libraries to use e-books because we can utilize preservation initiatives like LOCKSS to have permanent archive of our e-book collections.
  • ONIX standards for holdings data:
    • SOH (Serials Online Holdings) format v.1.1
    • SRN (Serials Release Notification) User Guide is available
  • OPLE – open source tool for ONIX for Serials

One attendee wondered if there’s a possiblity for direct communication mechanism between publishers and libraries, as well as communication between publishers and agents, especially in term of licensing. Coincidently, my co-worker just reported that NISO has a working group called SERU (Shared e-Resource Understanding) that just published a draft on common understanding between libraries and publishers. This draft is aimed for publishers and libraries that prefer to simplify (or even remove the need of) journal licenses.

ERM-IG now has a new mailing list.

Top Technology Trends – ALA Annual 2007, part 6

LITA podcast logoThe sixth and penultimate of our Top Technology Trend podcasts from this year’s ALA Annual meeting is here! There were six Trendsters live at ALA Annual, and this section is devoted to Joan Frye Williams. The Q & A session from Top Tech will go up here tomorrow, full of interesting differences of opinion from our panelists.

Next week, we’ll begin rolling out more podcasts from ALA Annual 2007, including the audio of the LITA President’s program as well as the Great Debate. Stay tuned!

Now up: Joan Frye Williams.

Top Technology Trends – ALA Annual 2007, part 5

LITA podcast logoThe fifth of our seven part Top Technology Trend podcasts from this year’s ALA Annual meeting is here! There were six Trendsters live at ALA Annual, and this section is devoted to Walt Crawford. The remainder will be spread out along this week.

Next week, we’ll begin rolling out more podcasts from ALA Annual 2007, including the audio of the LITA President’s program as well as the Great Debate. Stay tuned!

Now up: Walt Crawford.

Top Technology Trends at ALA Annual

Hi All,

I’m a student as Syracuse University attending my first ALA and am very excited to be able to blog the Top Technology Trends (TTT) Panel. I see the discussion has already started so I’ll try to keep this short, but there were a lot of ideas discussed. I am also going to break this into two parts- part one will be the presenters trends and part two will be the audience questions and discussion.

Marshall Breeding, the Director of Innovative Technologies and Research at the Vanderbilt University Library:

1. Library Automation

a. The changes in the marketplace especially those related to mergers have caused many libraries to reconsider their choice of provider and to look at open source products

b. New commercial companies are looking at ways of interfacing with open source products and creating new ways of thinking about automation and systems

c. Better front ends are being developed

John Blyberg, the Head of Technology and Digital Initiatives at the Darien (CT) Public Library

1. RFID- Improved front ends that increase circulation are going to require more supportive back ends, privacy concerns are minimal to non-existent

a. Walt countered that privacy is a huge issue, current technology may not be up to it, but future tech could improve datamining in undesirable ways.

b. Joan related a discussion that she had that groups are not worried about RFID in libraries, but are using libraries to have the debate

2. Vendor Interoperability- OPAC’s will be decoupled from the ILS creating a more modular ILS- Democratic approach to systems- pick and choose the best option for the job, however funding is needed for development

Karen Coombs, the Head of Web Services at the University of Houston Libraries:

1. End user as content contributor- Users are creating digital content (photos, video, etc.), but there is no guarantee that the material will be maintained where it is currently stored (Ex. Letters home from the military during earlier wars provide a great source of data about what is going on, but currently e-mail is not being captured)

a. Current capture technology is not suitable

b. Highlighted Picture Australia as an example of one way to solve the issue.

2. Digital as format of choice- Its easier since you don’t have to come to the library, E-books will take off when there is a decent reader

3. Line between desktop and internet is dissolving- Software doesn’t have to live on the computer anymore (Google Apps.)

Roy Tennant, a Senior Program Manager for OCLC:

1. Demise of the catalogue- The ILS will move to the backroom as portals offer access to materials in different formats on multiple resources

2. Software as a service- Servers will no longer have to be run in the library as the provider can host (and update) the software externally while providing customized front ends

3. Intense marketplace uncertainty- more support for open source, disruptive mergers and acquisitions, services need to be more integrated

Walt Crawford, the creator of Cites & Insights:

1. Privacy still matters- before we throw away confidentiality we need to consider if users really want us to be Amazon; federal datamining

2. Slow Library Movement- locality, library is part of the community; mindfulness, think not just do; Open source where open source works

3. Public Library as Publisher- larger libraries are already doing so and tools exist that make this practical

Joan Frye Williams, Independent Consultant:

1. End user focused technology- currently adopting technology as a retrofit rather then utilizing it to its full potential (ex. Cell phone as phone or cell phone as MP3 player, camera, text, etc.); fear of “I’m afraid they won’t love me if it’s too easy” and “Will there still be a library if I do this?”

2. Abdicating development responsibilities

3. The principle of self organizing systems- designing computing environment that can learn from itself; tendency to create something and then never change/update/evolve it

BIGWIG Business Meeting Notes, Annual 07

Jason Griffey, In-Coming Chair reports
What is BIGWIG? A working IG interested in social and emerging technologies. We do our work and discussions virtually using all tools possible. We are not a simple discussion group.

Our current structure is as follows:
We have an incoming chair, two co-chairs, and an outgoing chair. One chair is always in movement up and down. This will give the group continuity needed for projects as there will always be a chair with experience in office. We also have a Technical Coordinator who does back end work on the blog and a Volunteer Coordinator who organizes blogging efforts for conferences.

New positions possibly needed:

  • election interviews coordinator
  • podcast volunteer coordinator
  • Do we want to be a formal committee now that we are doing more committee-like work?
    Action: Michelle Boule will post committee requirements to the listserv for discussion

    Michelle Boule, Co-Chair, reports
    Blog Update

  • categories are now above the fold
  • archives are now in a drop down box
  • old pages are a level down so they are not visible in the navigational menu
  • their URLs are still the same
  • possible that we may do some subcategories and fly out menus in the future
  • Wiki Update
    Aaron Dobbs – Can we web committee pages on the wiki?
    Action item Michelle: bump up Aaron’s account
    Wiki Co-Coordinators needed: Aaron Dobbs and Michelle Boule agree to take this on

    Do we want a checklist for what goes on the blog and what goes on the wiki? Shelved for discussion on the listserv

    Social Software Showcase
    Was a success!
    A managed discussion space is the kind of physical space we want. We need to have a good description for the official ALA program. We will discuss speakers at Midwinter. Maybe we could have aMeebo Room wrangler during the f2f portion of the Showcase?

    Do we want to try to do back channels for TTT or other LITA Tracks? Forum? Action: Michelle Boule to post this to listserv for discussion at a later date.

    Karen Coombs, Co-Chair, reports
    Forum, Midwinter, Annual – plans for stuff
    The virtual piece to ALA conferences is missing. Karen would like to see us capturing things at Forum. Slides as a flash and with audio feed, audio, interviews, etc. What would the equipment needs be? If we only have audio then people would have to find the slides. Is it better to have both where people can choose either the audio or visual or both? At a minimum we can do the keynotes. Forum will be pilot for this type of reporting.
    Action: Karen Coombs start talk on listserv about logistics at Forum

    New Officers
    Michelle Boule stepping down to be Outgoing Chair
    Jason Griffey will step up to be Co-Chair
    Karen Coombs continues as Co-Chair
    Jonathan Blackburn was voted in as the new incoming chair and will be stepping down as Volunteer Coordinator.
    Tiffany Smith new Volunteer Coordinator
    Kevin Clarke will continue Technology Coordinator
    David Lee King – Podcast Coordinator (maybe with the podcasts we will need co-wranglers?)

    There will be opportunities for volunteering for all the BIGWIG projects as the dates for conferences get closer. If you would like to participate in the discussion or volunteer, join our listserv.

    Action: Michelle Boule send Tiffany Google doc for volunteer stuff and work with Jonathan to institutionalize our volunteer wrangling information

    Top Technology Trends – ALA Annual 2007, part 4

    LITA podcast logoThe fourth of our seven part Top Technology Trend podcasts from this year’s ALA Annual meeting is here! There were six Trendsters live at ALA Annual, and this section is devoted to the one and only Roy Tennant. The remainder will be spread out, one per day, for the rest of the week.

    If you’re enjoying the podcasts, and want to make sure that this sort of thing continues within LITA and the ALA, let us know! Leave comments and suggestions so that we know what everyone wants to see moving forward…

    Now up: Roy Tennant

    ERMS in Washington

    One of the best sessions I attended at Annual this year was ERMS Continues: More on Standards and Systems, presented by the ALCTS Electronic Resources Interest Group. Linda Miller (Library of Congress) and Kathy Klemperer (consultant) presented a wonderfully coherent overview of the current standards environment for electronic resources management, how it developed, and what’s still missing. They had good handouts and many examples illustrating their points.

    The session was blogged by the ERIG new chair-elect, Jennifer Lang on her blog: http://jenniferlang.net/archives/67.

    Next Generation Libraries: The 2.0 Phenomenon

    Next Generation Libraries: The 2.0 Phenomenon
    Stephen Abram
    Joe James

    Stephen’s Lighthouse blog for slides

    Change is coming and everyone will be effected.

    FaceBook – get your name and face out there. Let them know your name. Stand behind your word. Get libraries to evolve by de-cloaking. Show who they are and what their specialties are.

    MySpace merging with Yahoo. Thompson just bought Reuters.

    Google Scholar serves your students up to advertisers.

    Advertisers pay to be on first page.

    Libraries are more complicated than Fed Ex. They only deliver one way. We deliver it out and get it back.

    IM and Meebo allow you to have a conversation. IM research increase risk students learning because they are familiar with this technology.
    Continue reading